Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Reflections

Berries

I've been thinking a bit about identity and the internet - especially in regards to our reputation. I've been Deoridhe for a long time, and have a significant chunk of history behind me - I'm invested enough in the name that I have a bunch of Deoridhe's with different last names because yes, I am that much of a geek. I'm actually pretty comfortable with my reputation - even the less savory bits like the Gaia account made to mock me by one of the resident trolls (a badge of honor from my days as a moderator). I've even had a few of my Second Life conversations reproduced, and by and large I'm comfortable with most of what I say being passed around to different people.

I'm a bit of a spazz, and a lot of a vapid floozy, and I have a temper on me that I can sometimes ward off but which has a tendency to wash over everything. I'm idealistic and cynical by turns, and I have a tendency to get really snarky fast. I'm ok with people knowing that I sometimes have difficulty tracking people over multiple names (evidence of this is all over the recent drama) and that if a fight is over a few months I'm likely to have forgotten about it (except for some major fights, but I can seriously count those on one hand and often they don't actually count as fights). My work leaves me drained - something that picture taking really recovers me from. I sometimes have a tendency to stick my nose in, and I adore adore adore drama - even the ones I'm involved in (with a few notable exceptions).

So Cool!

The recent bruhaha with a former acquaintance being really upset when his thoughts on women became public-ish made me reflect on what I say, when, to whom, and how I would feel about it being reproduced. There are some things I think and say that I don't want to be general knowledge - but I'm generally pretty careful about who I talk to and usually what I don't want shared is the more personal, weird things which lurk in the Deoridhe-interior. My thoughts about other people, well honestly I expect those to become public sooner or later. I hold a few secrets, and I have a few guesses at secrets, and part of my job is being a sort of black hole into which experiences fall and occasionally get regurgitated as far from the form of their original source as they can be.

I'm not perfect, I'm a work in progress. I like to think I'm worthwhile as a friend, but I've had several people walk away shaking the dirt off of their feet. I've also walked away from people, and had to consider my reasons why. Reflecting on what amounts to six months of a slow-speed fight, I can't honestly say I'd do anything differently except hide the names of the women unfairly quoted by my ex-acquaintance. I am unsurprised he's unwilling to stand by his words, but it wasn't fair to them to simply be drive-bye victims of his dismissal.

Reach Away

( More pictures here. )

Credits: 

Skin: De La Soul, Aestali - Cream Rose
Eyes: De La Soul, RooMee Eyes - Rainbow
Eyeshadow: Elymode, A Little Drama - Frost
Eyelashes: Flufeln Brise, Eyelash 5
Hair: Exile, Lady Versailles - Honey
Ears: Illusions, Mystic Ears
Lipstick: Mock, Bella Vetro Gloss - Lepore Red
Dress: Hal Hina, Chiffon Dress 03
Jewelry: Little Boy Blue, Clara Yule Jewelry
Ring 1: Alchemy Immortalis, Nestling Finger
Ring 2: Earthstones, Eternal Blossom Ring - Bouquet
Shoes: Alice Project, Faelin Pumps - Vibrant Iridescent

Poses: Pffiou!

Location: Willowdale Estates
Light Settings: TOR, FOGGY Catastrophe
Water Settings: TOR, Coral Reef

Photographed by Deoridhe Quandry
Post processing: Cropping only

1 comment:

  1. Hey there, I just wanted to let you know that 1) your pictures are stunning.
    2)you and I seem to have the exact same thoughts on "boredom" in SL. Seriously? Bored- log off and do the dishes or go outside. As I read that post of yours, I just kept nodding in agreement and thought "I could have written this"(I assure not as well as you did-but it would have had the same meaning ;-) And finally
    3)I think it is hilarious when you (read:female) disagree with a man and instead of looking at the justification for your disagreement- they just try and explain it better (or louder with smaller words). As if once you understand(stupid girl) what they are saying the heavens would open up and you would be in complete agreement. They think that the issue is not that you perhaps have a different view on the world and your own gender but that you simply are not understanding what they are saying. That "former acquaintance" of yours (as I re-read all of his ranting)kept trying to just make you listen/hear to what he was saying, as if you were too stupid (or ignorant, or just disagreeing for fun)to see his point-and once you did you would certainly agree with him. Instead, you very correctly, pointed out the error in his initial hypothesis and offered several other explanations for what he was encountering. And I agree- if what he was hearing in the bar was offensive to him he could have asked the people directly- or as you pointed out...walked away the grid is a HUGE place and the Real World is even larger. Instead he chose to drag you in and you managed to offend him as well (lol) he could not walk away from that either and continued to discuss after you told/urged him to drop it and refused to engage any further-and several months later he is still not able to be disagreed with. I suspect he was/is simply looking for someone to be in agreement with him- I have a feeling that is something he rarely experiences- not shocking at all.
    Thank you again- the posts are refreshing and I appreciate your view and take on things.
    Clicq

    ReplyDelete