Monday, June 25, 2012

2012 Color Challenge: Week 26 - Rust

Rising Tides

Rust was totally cake for me to set up - it's one of the standard colors at DV8 and I had picked up a ton of clothes at their store closing, so it was just a matter of picking the style and accessories. I ended up pairing in an old favorite from G Field that I also picked up on sale, though that was a long while ago. I'm glad to get a chance to show them off. The hair from Analog Dog is new, and my only complaint is that only two of them have the tintable weave sections. I haven't experimented yet with tinting the weave manually on other colors, but look forward to it. I love the effect of hair woven in, though, and i hope this isn't the only time that style comes into play. I took my pictures at one of the stages for Second Life's Ninth Birthday, and I really enjoyed it - like the Fantasy Faire, I wish these builds could last longer! They're so amazing. I have some more pictures to take and I'll do another post about them, but the chances to enjoy them are going down the tubes - so hurry~!

Volunteering as a Greeter got me thinking again about friending in Second Life, and how I determine who I want to be able to contact in the future, who I tolerate being able to contact me, and who I refuse. I had four friend requests over the greeter period, and I accepted two of them. All of them were new players - if not in time since creation than in experience.

Ruin Edges Framed

One was completely new, 0 days; he actually didn't reply to any of my Greeter words - we got to talking when I asked him to put on pants (he had no bits, but was naked, and it was a G rated sim). I gave him my Newbie Kit and he explored it, asking me questions on and off. He was from IMVU, so I had to explain we could still talk in IMs as he went off exploring links and hopefully finding more clothing. After talking on and off for well over an hour, he offered friendship and I accepted. I don't expect to hear much from him; he had initiative - and that's largely why I accepted the friend request. In six months, if I haven't heard from him, I'll delete and not hear from him again.

A second was quite new and spent a good chunk of her time bouncing around the HUB where I was a Greeter - hoping in and out of chat range. We chatted in open chat, and I'll admit to being friendly, but the conversation was the sort you'd have in line at a store; it passes the time, it's enjoyable, but it isn't at all sustaining. When she offered friendship, I explained that I didn't friend people without getting to know them.

The third I ended up speaking too for quite some time, and I'm not sure she was actually new. Again, there was a sense of curiosity, an interest in how things worked, and shared knowledge. It was a brief conversation, but when she offered friendship I accepted. She seemed interesting, and I thought there might be more to her than I'd gotten to know in the single conversation.

The final one was today, and the only interaction which occurred when I wasn't working. While I was doing this photoshoot, I was approached by someone over a year old, but fairly obviously new given his look and clothing. I passed him a Newbie Kit, and he started asking questions - where am I from, what's my name, so on. Given his answers, he was obviously looking for extra-SL information (which I only give to close friends). I answered in SL only, since that's how I roll, and directed him to Search for his fairly standard interests. The combination of a lack of initiative and the offline questions right off the back guaranteed that when he asked to friend me I refused.

Silhouette

Friending is a personal thing, but it's interesting to see how much value I place on my own judgement of another person based on very brief conversations.

( More pictures here. )

Credits:

Skin: De La Soul, Aestali - Cream Rose (promotional item)
Eyes: De La Soul, Rainbow MESH (promotional item)
Ears: Illusion, Seelie Ears
Eyelashes 1: *X*plosion, PrimLashes
Eyelashes 2: Flugeln Brise, 05-A
Lipstick: Mock, Bella Vetro Gloss - Cabaret
Hair: Analog Dog, Check mate weave
Wings: Fancy Fairy, Azarelle Wings
Jewelry: G Field, Rusty Rose
Bustier: Mimikiri, Lolita Blush
Gloves and Stockings: DV8, NekoChan - Rust
Dress and shoes: DV8, Night Sprite - Rust

Poses: Glitterati

Location: SL9B: DJ Egypt Sim
Light Settings: TOR, EUPHORIA Plum Sunset
Water Settings: Pond

Photographed by Deoridhe Quandry
Post processing: Cropping, only

No comments:

Post a Comment