Friday, December 21, 2012

How NOT to Chat in Second Life - Spam and Fury

Hanging Thin

I don't think you can go into Second Life public much these days and not run across a running commentary on the physical characteristics and effects of pregnancy on the body. The talking pregnant belly is incredibly common, and incredibly spammy. As you can see from excerpts of a chat below, it talks every four to five minutes in a fairly large burst of text, and with way too much information! When I'm shopping or sales, or looking around a new sim, the last thing I want to be thinking about is fetal genitalia!Or the state of the angles of esophagus of some random person I don't know!

[00:23] POOTERBILT Mommy's HUD 4.08 is in the third month (12-15 weeks) of development.
[00:29] POOTERBILT Mommy's HUD 4.08 knows that you can now notice your belly getting bigger and hopes you are not mad at me for it.
[00:35] POOTERBILT Mommy's HUD 4.08 notices I can see my sex parts. I wonder if you guys know what sex I am yet.
[00:41] POOTERBILT Mommy's HUD 4.08 wants you to get an ultrasound because you can see that I am looking more like a little baby now.
[00:49] POOTERBILT Mommy's HUD 4.08 can tell you are uncomfortable with all of this heartburn you feel from me growing and taking up so much room.

Twins Rising

Another recent development is a proximity alarm which goes off every time someone runs into the person. In a crowded sim this can be a significant amount of contact, though I have to admit the one time I ran across it I ended up bumping into her on purpose because it made me giggle - like a giant toy. The amount of text it takes up, though, is no laughing matter; even accidentally, someone can seriously scroll the chat in a crowded venue. All it takes is a bunch of avatars and narrow hallways, like those limited time events that keep popping up all over, and a single, unnecessary sentence becomes some serious scroll.

[22:29]  Real Jr: Please be careful [Resident 1].  My mommy is pregnant, and if you bump too hard you can hurt me or my mommy קяЄgg0ℓĨⓈĨĄⓈ.
[22:29]  Real Jr: Please be careful [Resident 1].  My mommy is pregnant, and if you bump too hard you can hurt me or my mommy קяЄgg0ℓĨⓈĨĄⓈ.
[22:30]  Real Jr:  [Resident 1] kisses tasty's belly and says "I love you lil baby".
[22:30]  Real Jr: Please be careful Deoridhe Quandry.  My mommy is pregnant, and if you bump too hard you can hurt me or my mommy קяЄgg0ℓĨⓈĨĄⓈ.
[22:31]  Real Jr: /me has a pretty regular sleeping pattern now, please don't disrupt me now.
[22:37]  Real Jr: /me whimpers, my skin is see through, this is kinda neat.
[23:04]  Real Jr: Please be careful [Resident 2].  My mommy is pregnant, and if you bump too hard you can hurt me or my mommy קяЄgg0ℓĨⓈĨĄⓈ.
[23:04]  Real Jr: Please be careful Deoridhe Quandry.  My mommy is pregnant, and if you bump too hard you can hurt me or my mommy קяЄgg0ℓĨⓈĨĄⓈ.
[23:04]  Real Jr: Please be careful Deoridhe Quandry.  My mommy is pregnant, and if you bump too hard you can hurt me or my mommy קяЄgg0ℓĨⓈĨĄⓈ.
[23:05]  Real Jr: Please be careful [Resident 3].  My mommy is pregnant, and if you bump too hard you can hurt me or my mommy קяЄgg0ℓĨⓈĨĄⓈ.
[23:05]  Real Jr: Please be careful [Resident 3].  My mommy is pregnant, and if you bump too hard you can hurt me or my mommy קяЄgg0ℓĨⓈĨĄⓈ.
[23:05]  Real Jr: Please be careful [Resident 3].  My mommy is pregnant, and if you bump too hard you can hurt me or my mommy קяЄgg0ℓĨⓈĨĄⓈ.
[23:05]  Real Jr: Please be careful [Resident 3].  My mommy is pregnant, and if you bump too hard you can hurt me or my mommy קяЄgg0ℓĨⓈĨĄⓈ.
[23:06]  Real Jr: Please be careful [Resident 3].  My mommy is pregnant, and if you bump too hard you can hurt me or my mommy קяЄgg0ℓĨⓈĨĄⓈ.
[23:06]  Real Jr: Please be careful [Resident 3].  My mommy is pregnant, and if you bump too hard you can hurt me or my mommy קяЄgg0ℓĨⓈĨĄⓈ.

Excaliber

A recent overheard conversation gave me a little insight into the thinking behid this scripty, spammy mess of an attachment, and I thought I'd share (as well as inviting some commiseration on the annoyance of Roleplaying Via Spam).

[00:30] קяЄgg0ℓĨⓈĨĄⓈ: and my friend was like u should get a belly talker cause people going to think u just fat
[00:30] קяЄgg0ℓĨⓈĨĄⓈ: lol!
[00:31] קяЄgg0ℓĨⓈĨĄⓈ: i said omg....
[00:31] קяЄgg0ℓĨⓈĨĄⓈ: never thought of that @_@ lol

Yes, ladies and gentlemen - better a spammer, than a fatty.

Cast in Gold

( More pictures here. )

Credits:

Skin: De la Soul, Aestali - Cream Rose
Eyes: De La Soul, RooMee Eyes - Rainbow
Eyelashes 1: SLink, Eyelashes
Eyelashes 2: Flugeln Brise, 05-A
Eyeshadow: Elymode, A Little Drama
Ears: Illusions, Seelie Ears
Lipstick 1: Mock, Vitrail Lip Glass - Black Licorice
Lipstick 2: Mock, Micare LipGlimmer - London Glitter
Lipstick 3: Mock, Dark Mallow Lip Creme
Hair: Secrets Hair, Anita - Dark (promotional item)
Headwings: Aux, Fly Free - RARE Pegasus (Gatcha Prize)
Wings: Fancy Fairy, Azarelle
Gloves: Second Wave Apparel, Dress Gloves - white
Scarf: Boom, Tinsley Cashmere Bow Scarf
Dress: Blue Blood, Carmina - Black
Shoes: katatonik, Wingtip Mary janes

Poses: Glitterati

Location: The Garden
Light Settings: Bryn Oh's BOX MetaLES

Photographed by Deoridhe Quandry
Post processing: Cropping, only

3 comments:

  1. LOL! "better a spammer, than a fatty." That just made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People are such fun, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My response is to usually wear this...
    https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Snickers-Evil-Pregnant-Tummy-Talker-v21/515973
    Yay for offending new virtual moms

    ReplyDelete