Thursday, August 22, 2013

Podcasts I Know and Love

Girl on the Street

Since getting my new phone, I have become an avid listener of podcasts. Something about it being able to load automatically, without even having to go through my computer, makes it perfect for my haphazard manner of living. I'm not feeling particularly like coming up with other things to say, I thought I would share a few of my favorites.

Ask Me Another & Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me: Both of these are NPR Radio Game Shows, which means they're hopelessly, helplessly uncool and geeky, and I love them for it. Very white, very silly, with lots of puns and word games, and some of my go-to shows when I've had a bad day.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History: A fantastic show by an amateur, but very thorough, historian. He focuses on very narrow times or events and goes into depth with them, and has a fantastic dramatic style. Several times he does quite long podcasts - more than six or seven hours of content - and I've always been impressed and educated, as well as entertained. It is a bit heavy; a lot of what he covers is pretty violent. The advantage to having it in podcast form is I can stop and go to something else when I need something more chipper.

Deep Shit with Baron Vaughn: This is one of my newer shows, but I really enjoy it. Each week features a different person with a different thing they are excited about, and it really gets deep and fascinating. It's sort of like those 3am discussions when you've had a few drinks and are ready to get real.

Girl on Guy with Aisha Tyler: This is another of my more recent ones, but I've really been enjoying it. Aisha usually interviews comedians, but her final one for this season was with Levar Burton and it was amazing, heartwarming, entertaining, educational, and left me feeling all warm and glowy inside.

Made of Fail Productions: Some old friends started this, but I didn't get into it until I got into podcasts. It's a geeky, sometimes serious, usually silly, lots of fun and lots of inside jokes. This is really for the geeks in the audience - I call you "My People."

MSNBC Rachel Maddow: For a long time I didn't listen to news programs, getting my news piecemeal through a variety of social media outlets and relying on friends, but once I found this podcast I never looked back. I download it every night to listen to first thing in the morning during my morning commute; the first week I was keeping up with my old means, and she covered everything, plus added some history I didn't know, and covered more than I found out on my own, and I was hooked.

Look at the Cards

Nostalgia Chick: Yes, I'm very geeky. Nostalgia Chick is more of that, and a whole lot of funny. She covers popular media, usually with a social justice angle, which I really like. Plus, I'm just a sucker for media analysis.

Pop Culture Happy Hour: A weekly podcast about whatever is going on right now media wise. While Nostalgia Chick draws from the whole media spectrum, Pop Culture Happy Hour is focused on whatever happened that week, and does both critique and simple squeeing about delightful things. The participants all have different angles which keeps it interesting and often foments discussion amongst them.

SF Squeecast: This podcast is unmitigated awesome. If I had my druthers, I'd have coffee with the entire table, and probably end up eviscerated to predict something important, but it would so be worth it. The focus is entirely positive, which is really fun since a lot of my other interests have both light and dark sides; it's nice to have a place to retreat to and just enjoy how much the members of the panel simply enjoy each other's company. I love them, I love them, I love them.

Radiolab: My favorite of a few different "telling peoples' stories" podcasts, I particularly like Radiolab because of how they use sound - layering it over and under and combining and cutting so that each episode is almost like a single musical score.

Welcome to Night Vale: Inspired by everything that goes bump in the night, this is a twice monthly podcast that does a semi-parody of an NPR broadcast, only... well, things in Night vale are a little different. You need to not go to the Dog Park, A hypnotic Glow Cloud runs the PTA, and heaven is about a hundred feet over the Arbys in town. If you like the eerie, the unusual, and the unexpectedly sweet, this is the podcast for you.

Yo, Is this Racist?: The podcast that goes with the popular website. Andrew Ti has a new guest on every week to answer calls and questions about race in the USA.
Come Hither

( More pictures here. )

Credits:

Skin: De La Soul, Candace Creamer
Hair: Clawtooth, Angeles
Hat: Volstead, Peacock Headband
Ears: Illusions, Seelie Ears
Eyes: De La Soul, Mesh Eye Rainbow
Eyelashes 1: SLink, Mesh Lashes
Eyelashes 2: Flugeln Brise, 05-A
Eyeliner: Mock, Glitterotica - Ariel Wink (Group Gift)
Lipstick 1: Adore & Abhor, 13 Lips - Fire Red
Lipstick 2: Mock, Mizu Venetian Red
Jewelry: AZE, Puka Shell & Turquoise
Wings: Illusions, Apsara Wings
Hands: SLink, Rigged Mesh Hands
Nails: Nine Inch Nails, Deco
Fan: Volstead, Peacock Fan
Dress: Ison, Dazzel Gown (collabor88)
Shoes: Schadenfreude, Casinelle

Poses: Glitterati


Location: Mad City - Madame Peacock's Parlour

Light Settings: Phototools, Absinthe Light
Water Settings: NB, Sparkling Depths

Photographed by Deoridhe Quandry
Post processing: Cropping, only

No comments:

Post a Comment