Sunday, November 10, 2013

Monday Meme: Look Alikes Challenge

Selfie

This is a Selfie Challenge, and so I decided to break out the cell phone and take a selfie - then take a more full on picture to run through the Celebrity Look Alike Generator and see who I fit. I am awful at noting who I look like - or even who other people look like. I have to admit, the results surprised me - I suppose I can see the resemblance, especially since Second Life gives us nearly perfect faces under the right lighting.For Second Life my nose is very broad, but compared to these faces it seems much more reasonable and natural than I had anticipated; Deoridhe's face is based as closely to mine as I can manage, given the limitations of Second Life, but I'm not sure me as myself would land any of these gorgeous faces - especially since my hair is darker offline than online. My shape in Second Life is an integral part of my self image, so much so that when I tried on a mesh head I was strongly troubled and couldn't wear it for long. I have much less of an issue with this on avatars I don't identify with so closely, but Deoridhe is me in a very long-standing and profound manner, and Second Life images have been my appearance online for years now - prior to that it was Gaia Online avatars, and prior to that it was an image I colored from a drawing someone made of Deoridhe after meeting me.

LookAlikes

Identity in an age where so much of our communication happens virtually, over cell phones and computers, can seem like a much trickier thing. There is a lot of talk about how we're in a new era of remote communication, and while I do believe remote communication is more immediate and widespread than ever before, there is a long history of letters flying madly and wildly across the world, connecting together the most unlikely of confidants. Email and telephone conversations have picked up a lot of the letter's slack, though much briefer now; what's really new in this electronic age are things like blogs that have world wide spread - there were always newspapers and journals, but the ease and access is so much greater now than it ever had been. I have heard people argue that this means the level of discourse has become thinned and petty, but I disagree; a lot of what we communicate about is small and about other people. Hidden within this discourse is an undercurrent of deeper ideas, though. How we treat others speaks a lot about what we value and our ethical thoughts and perspective on the world, especially when we're assuming it doesn't matter.

Call Me, Maybe?

Credits: 

Skin: Izzie's, Irene
Hair: Wasabi Pills, Cora
Bird: Birdy, Lil Tweet
Ears: Illusions, Seelie Ears
Eyeshadow: Mock, A touch of Magic (Group Gift)
Eyes: De La Soul, Rainbow
Eyelashes 1: SLink, Mesh Lashes
Eyelashes 2: Flugeln Brise, 05-A
Lipstick: Mock, Machine Envy Lip Jelle
Wings: Illusions, Apsara Wings
Hands and Feet: SLink, Rigged Mesh Hands and Feet
Nails: Nine Inch Nails, Deco
Necklace: Lassitude & Ennui, Heraldic necklace
Dress: katat0nik, Choco Dress
Bloomers: Sn@tch, Bloomers
Shoes: Bliensen + MaiTai, Cha Cha Cha

Poses: Adorkable Poses

Location: Isle of Amras (new build)
Light Settings: AnaLutetia, AvatarOpt
Water Settings: Glassy

Photographed by Deoridhe Quandry
Post processing: Cropping, only

2 comments:

  1. You actually do look a bit like Gwen Stefani!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. That one kinda threw me, since she's a low percentage, but we kinda have a similar nose.

    ReplyDelete