Sunday, May 25, 2014

Rose in Bloom

Night on the Town

One of my favorite books from my teenage years is Rose in Bloom, a sequel to the serially released Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott. It is a dated book, I'll admit, and her virtuous tone is all but laughable in the face of a modern era, but there's much I love about the enduring friendship between Rose and her housemaid cum lady's maid cum cousin-in-law. It stands in an odd intersection of racism-in-description of one of the Chinese men Rose and her cousins meet, and an odd sort of equality when one of her wealthy friends marries the Chinese man. It is feminist and progressive for it's age, especially with Rose's determination to be a philanthropist as well as wife and mother, but has unnerving classist assumptions, especially in regards to Phebe and her role vis a vis showing what "good" poor people were like. It is problematic along a few different axis, and I love it even now and even knowing it's many flaws. I love the equality inherent in it, the transformation of Rose's cousins from children into adults, and Rose and Phebe's own transformations. I love to imagine myself as Rose, sweet and unspoiled, surrounded by people who love her.

Flippant

My gorgeous Rose in Bloom dress is from Petite Mii, and I knew I had to have it as soon as I saw it. I love the overall shape of the gown, the sweet puffed sleeves, the high collar, and the lovely pattern. It is a wide sweeping skirt, which means sitting can be a challenge, but I adore the ruffle along the bottom and encourage you to invest in tights or underwear with good coverage. To continue the Wa Lolita style, I added Tama hairpins with lovely winter cherry blooms hanging from them; I picked these up in a wide variety of colors ages ago, and I'm so glad to have a chance to show them off. I especially love the additional earrings, which are open on the front to show the tiny cherry inside. I tucked them in around one of the latest updos from Wasabi Pills, and gloriously they fit around the twisted band of hair as if they had been made for each other. I love how the crown and pouf make it seem more formal, while the tangling twists over the shooulders give a slightly more casual vibe - something perfect for the quasi-formality of Wa Lolita. My lovely little purse is a recent release from Adore & Abhor, a set of pastel coffin purses which simply make me giggle endlessly. The colors are all very muted, which gives them a sweet yet disturbing edge. Finally, the quintessential shoe for any Lolita look is the Mary Jane, and I chose these adorably simple ones from Reign, which fit over the SLink medium foot. They have a nice chunky heel, and a lovely line.

Rise Up

( More pictures here. )

Credits: 

Skin: Izzie's, Irene
Sparkles: Folly, Rainbow Sheen
Hair: Wasabi Pills, Sanna
Ears: Illusions, Seelie Ears
Jewelry: Tama, Japanese Lanterns
Earrings: Illusions, Mystic Chains
Eyes: De La Soul, Rainbow
Eyelashes 1: SLink, Mesh Lashes
Eyelashes 2: Flugeln Brise, 05-A
Eyeshadow: Mock, Silver (light iced)
Lipstick: Mock, Bella Vetro Gloss
Wings: Deviance, Seelie
Hands & Feet: SLink, Rigged Mesh Hands & feet
Nails: Orc Inc, Rich Darks
Clothing: Petit Mii, Asian Dress

Purse: Adore & Abhor, Coffin Purse
Stockings: Stellar, In Bloom
Shoes: Reign, MaryJanes

Poses: Grafica

Location: Tropical Serenade
Light Settings: TOR, FOGGY Sad purple
Water Settings: mirror water

Photographed by Deoridhe Quandry
Post processing: Cropping, only

No comments:

Post a Comment