Friday, February 13, 2015

Friday the Thirteenth

Ready for Action

Friday the Thirteenth was my Grandmother's lucky day.

I lost her a few years ago, and it's still taken me some time to adjust. She wasn't a pleasant, affectionate woman in general, so it is less for the interpersonal loss that I grieve, but more for the family shift as the generation before mine suddenly became the ruling generation of our family, with all that entails. I like to think of my Grandmother being with my Grandfather, though. She was far too bloody minded to follow him quickly, and I think she felt his loss far more keenly than any of us could have.

My Grandmother came to the US on a Friday the Thirteenth when she was four years old, traveling with her mother to catch up with a father who had left them both behind in Denmark. Neither of those Great Grandparents were good people; my Great Grandmother was cruel and manipulative, and my Great Grandfather was physically abusive. My Grandmother decided when she was young that she would never marry, not wanting a relationship like she grew up in the care of, but my Grandfather managed to change her mind - and in many ways the choices my Grandmother made saved our family. She ended the abuse of her Father in a single generation; my Mother and Uncle grew up loved and cherished, not abused. For that alone she deserves high praise.

Pillars of Society

My Grandfather's parents more than made up for my Grandmother's parents, and in many ways my Grandmother blossomed in the light of their and my Grandfather's love. My Great Grandfather had a birthday only two days after Christmas, and it was my Grandmother who baked him his first birthday cake. When other members of the family had similar birthdays, she made sure they would never feel the neglect my Great Grandfather received. When my Grandmother's parents told her she would have no help from them if my Grandfather left her, his parents vowed that she would always have a home with them - and that openness and love offered my Grandmother an oasis in a world of pain. She was always dutiful toward her parents, but I think she felt their lack of care strongly and it bent her life in ways I can only guess at.

Tomorrow is a day dedicated to romantic love, and in the light of that I like to think of my Grandmother and Grandfather, who found in each other the love of a lifetime. May similar love be found in the lives of all who loved them. I love you and miss you, Grandma and Grandpa.

Jagged

( More pictures here. )

Credits: 

Skin: Izzie's, Irene
Sparkles: Folly, Rainbow Sheen
Hair: Wasabi Pills, Hanako
Hat: Atomic, Morbid Unicorn
Ears: .:Soul:., High Elf
Eyes: .:Soul:., RooMee
Eyelashes 1: SLink, Mesh Lashes
Eyelashes 2: Flugeln Brise, 05-A
Brow: Riske, Limited Lotus Tattoo
Wings: Deviance, Sidhe
Jewelry: Sax Shepherd Designs, Nia Moon
Hands: SLink, Rigged Mesh Hands
Nails: Flair, Set 138
Outfit: Violent Seduction, Moon Princess
Bloomers: katat0nik, Strawberry Cream Set
Shoes: The Sugar Garden, Snow Bunny Boot

Pose: Grafica

Location: The Moon Kingdom
Light Settings: TOR, HORROR Castle vain
Water Settings: Pond

Photographed by Deoridhe Quandry
Post processing: Cropping

No comments:

Post a Comment