Sunday, August 28, 2016

Unmet Needs

 "Every criticism is the tragic result of an unmet need." - John Rogers

Driftwood

John Rogers was talking about criticism of television shows, but this statement came alive inside of me especially in the context of the current political landscape.

"Every criticism is the tragic result of an unmet need."

From my perspective, the enthusiasm coalescing around Donald Trump, a man whose disregard and incompetence with his existing power frightens me greatly, is the result of feeling as if one is becoming increasingly marginalized when one grew up being told one should be centered. The story of the United States is one in which powerful and noble people came from across the sea, conquered the largely abandoned land, and then nobly opened it's arms for a long series of people seeking to improve their lives while the powerful and noble people retained benevolent control over it all. I was sold this story as a child and it was shocking to me as I learned the very different stories other people who had their own stories of the USA.

Rusted and Floating Free


In many of those stories, I and my ancestors are villains. Sometimes benign or neglectful villains, but villains nonetheless. I learned about what was left out of the story I was sold as a child, the one which built within me a great enough desire to be of service to others that I was able to emotionally endure recognizing a world in which I was sometimes a source of pain for others, and a world which had been bent to privilege me and people like me.

I'm trying to learn a different story - an imperfect story which carries both the thru-line of justice encompassing all people and the thru-line of systemic and continuing discrimination which damages the lives of so many people and to do so I cling to the idealism of the USA, to the full implications of "All people are created equal" as firmly as others cling to the narrative of being rugged individuals who stand under their own power and don't need handouts. I feel their implicit critique of the ideals I hold; I see the need to be recognized and valued, I see the need to be treated with respect.

Porch Landing

I wish seeing gave answers as to what to do.

( More pictures here. )

Credits:

Skin: Izzie's, Irene
Tattoo: Folly, Rainbow Sheen
Flowers: katat0nik, Gilded Rose (c88)
Hair: Exile, Liason (c88)
Eyes: .:Soul:., Blinde
Eyelashes 1: SLink, Mesh Lashes
Eyelashes 2: Flugeln Brise, 05-A
Ears: .:Soul:., Uni
Lipstick: Sn@tch, Luch Velvet
Wings: Deviance, Sidhe
Body 1: SLink, Body & Hands & Feet
Jewelry: Spyralle, Glass Bangle
Nails: La Boheme, Seaside Gold
Outfit: Moon Amore, Giovanna Dress (c88)
Stockings: Atomic, Rose Princess
Shoes: Pure Poison, Ishara Sandals (c88)

Poses: Grafica
Location: Arranmore
Windlight Settings: TOR, SUNRISE Deep blue sky 2
Water Settings: Glassy

Photographed by Deoridhe Quandry
Post processing: Cropping

No comments:

Post a Comment